Apache is a freely available Web Server that is distributed under an “open source” license. Version 2.0 runs on most Unix based operating systems (such as Linux, Solaris, Digital UNIX), on other derived systems.
- Apache is the most widely used web server software. It is Developed and maintained by Apache Software Foundation and it is an open source software available for free.
- It runs more than 70% of all web servers in the world. It is fast, reliable, and secure.
- It can be highly customized to meet the needs of many different environments by using extensions and with different modules.
- Most WordPress hosting providers use Apache as their web server software. However, WordPress can run on other web server software as well.
What is a Web Server?
- A web server is not just your host but also your server and Apache Web Server is designed to create Web servers that have the ability to host one or more HTTP-based websites.Once it has found the web page you requested, it also serves you the web page.
- Apache Web Server is the software that receives your request to access a web page and It’s runs a few security checks on your HTTP request and takes you to the web page. It’s depending on the page you have requested, the page may ask the server to run a few extra modules while generating the document to serve you. It then serves you the document you requested.
- It is also widely used by Web hosting companies for the purpose of providing shared and virtual hosting, as by default, Apache Web Server supports and distinguishes between different hosts that reside on the same machine.
Installation of Apache Server RPM Part -1